Steam's latest hit is a co-op survival game blending Stardew Valley, Terraria, and Valheim

According to the game's developer, Core Keeper sold 250,000 copies in the first week after it was released in Early Access.

It is difficult, to sum up, everything that happens in Core Keeper, but I would say it is a cross between Stardew Valley, Terraria, and Minecraft, with a dash of Valheim and Factorio thrown in for good measure. Plus, it is all set deep underground in the dark... but it still manages to feel cozy and charming.
And it is already shaping up to be a smash hit. On March 8, the indie survival crafting sandbox, which can be played in co-op with up to eight players, was released into Steam Early Access. Core Keeper had sold 100,000 copies in just 48 hours. A week later, it is more than doubled to 250,000 sales, according to the developer.
I understand why. I started playing Core Keeper on Friday night and kept coming back all weekend, enthralled by the combination of mining, exploring, crafting, cooking, fishing, farming, and fighting.
In Core Keeper, you are trapped underground in a massive procedurally generated network of caverns after being summoned there by the mysterious Core, a powerful yet dormant piece of ancient technology. You begin by picking away at walls to dig tunnels and collect resources such as copper and tin, which you then use to craft weapons, armor, and tools. Chop tree roots to create a wooden base, collect seeds to start a farm, explore underwater ponds for fishing, construct bridges to cross deep, dark chasms, and battle powerful boss monsters and their minions. The more you explore the subterranean world, the more you discover: new biomes, new enemies, and a plethora of secrets and surprises.
After a weekend of play, I was pleased with my progress, having defeated one boss, located another (in Valheim, you can stumble across boss monster encounters or figure out ways to pinpoint their locations), and progressed from wooden tools to copper, tin, and finally iron. I have a nice little farm growing edible plants, several smelters for my ore, and even a friendly little NPC vendor living in my house. When I look at the progress of other players, I can see that I have barely scratched the surface of what is hidden deep underground in Core Keeper.
I was pleased with my progress after a weekend of play, having defeated one boss, located another (in Valheim, you can stumble across boss monster encounters or figure out ways to pinpoint their locations), and progressed from wooden tools to copper, tin, and finally iron. I have a nice little farm where I grow edible plants, several smelters for my ore, and even a friendly little NPC vendor who lives in my house. When I compare my progress to that of other players, I realize that I have only scratched the surface of what is hidden deep underground in Core Keeper.
Despite the fact that Core Keeper is still in Early Access, with plans to add new biomes, bosses, and gameplay systems before it is finished, what is already there feels extremely polished and playable. If you are interested, it is also currently 10% off during its launch week, though that deal expires tomorrow.

Comments